Saturday, January 15, 2011

GARTH BROOKS - THE DANCE (clip) - Country Music Television - 1990

On January 9th, 2011 we said goodbye to our 8 day old son, Jack, after he contracted Meningitis.

Ventilators kept alive until he was able to donate his liver on January 11th- the day he became a Hero. His daddy and I stayed up all night leading up to his surgery, in his private room at Sick Kids, singing to him. We played to him a selection of Disney music- his first introduction to the characters we had hoped to take him to meet in a few short years.

We also remembered this song, and played it for him. It's perfectly fitting. I would go through another 9 months of pregnancy (in which he beat the crap out of me every. single. day), another 26 hour labour resulting in an emergency c-section if only to have lived these eight precious days again. Our lives truly are better left to chance.

4 comments:

B. Wilson said...

Laura,
My gosh. A donation? Wow. I think you are heroes, too. What an ultimate gift you gave another family in the midst of your tragedy and sadness. We had nothing to physically give, but you gave a legacy that will hopefully serve another baby well and provide hope.

I'm amazed by reading this and you wrote it so nonchalantly. Incredible gift, really.

lissasue3 said...

I am so very sorry for your loss. ((Hugs))

Becky said...

I am so sorry for your loss. You guys are definitely hero's though, being able to save another childs life in the midst of your own little one dying. What a wonderful gift and such amazing people you are, Jack must be so proud

Dana said...

Jack is a hero, and so are you. I am so, so sorry that he died. My heart just aches for you. I used to volunteer at Sick Kids on the transplant floor and stayed with many babies who received liver transplants and was there one day when one of those babies, a little girl, was going home. Her mother was so happy. The parents of the baby that Jack saved will have that moment, because of you, because of Jack.

Post a Comment

 
Design bySmall Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved