Thursday, February 3, 2011

But of Course...

Much of my family lives in the UK. My parents moved here in '79 shortly after getting married and before having us kids. We have an aunt here, with her kids and now their kids. But everyone else? They're still in England.

Thanks to the wonders of Facebook, I'm able to "know" my cousins and follow along in the "lives". One of the funny things about this is how they all seem to be incredibly fertile. Like, disgustingly so. Oh, and they don't get married. Why? Because then the mothers wouldn't be able to qualify for additional "single parent" benefits from the government...

This one cousin, she's exactly 5 years younger than me, making her the rip old age of 23. She has, let's count them... 1...2...3 kids. 4 years old, 14 months, and 4 months... I'm sure you can guess where this is going.

The twit is pregnant again, 3 months pregnant, with #4. At 23. No job. No education. No husband (to be fair, same boyfriend/baby daddy for all the kids... I think). Council (read: government paid) housing. FML.

My husband and I own our house, both have great jobs we have worked our asses off to achieve, have savings, university degrees, have great friends... We have 0 live babies. 0.

I don't "get" it.

2 comments:

B. Wilson said...

Grrr! I understand completely. :(

Dana said...

I don't get it either. Not at all.

Post a Comment

 
Design bySmall Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved