Friday, March 25, 2011

The One Where I Speak in Emoticons

Today, Scott is in Chicago where my penpal B lives.  He's there with his Dad, on what has become an annual tradition: visit one of the original six hockey teams each year.  They've already done Boston, last year I (along with Scott's mom) joined them in NYC, and this year is Chi-town.  If I had gotten my ass in gear, I would be there too.  But I didn't, so I'm not.

Good news is they are back Sunday, so only 2 sleeps without Scott.  I, not unlike a lot of other BLMs, am paranoid that something could happen to him while he's away.  It won't, but I'll still be nervous until he's back.

Anyway, I decided I should accomplish something not including caulking, grout, or paint today.  I needed to pick up a few things at Shopper's Drug Mart (including a ticket for the $43 million dollar lotto draw tonight... 'cause my luck has been amazing lately, oh wait...).

I needed a new mascara since my current one is getting kind of yuck, and I was approached by the lady who services the cosmetic's department.  She happened to be pushing a new product line which increases the lash growth, darkness and thickness. Kinda like that Latisse stuff Brooke Shield endorses...  I actually had a friend who uses a similar product from Sephora (a liquid you apply to the lash line), and it really works... So knowing a little about the product, I told her I couldn't use it because pregnant women can't use it (as per my friend).  As soon as I said it, I knew her next question would be whether I am pregnant.  I responded with, "no, I'm not pregnant.  But I will be soon, so I can't use it".  I know this is an unusual statement, so she kind of looked at me like, "wtf?".  I just smiled and put my usual mascara in my basket, thanked her for her help, and continued to another aisle to get some more stuff.

Crisis averted, I'm thinking I'm good, right?

Nope. She follows me, and continues to tell me about a friend of hers who is pregnant.

Me: :|

Her: Do you have kids?

Me: :|

Her: :|

Me: I did, I have a son. But he died just after he was born.

Me & Her: :|

Her: I have a friend.  Similar thing happened to her.  She now has twins.

Me: :| That's what I'm hoping for. I'm hoping for 2 babies. Then 2 more.

Me: :( ... then :'(

Her:  I'm sorry to make you cry.

Me: It's obviously not your fault. Hearing about your friend, that gives me hope, so thank you.

Her:  :) Good luck.

Me: :'( & :)

I gather my things quickly, pay and leave.

The end. Seriously. Come on lotto ticket... And Sunday when Scott will be home again.

8 comments:

TanaLee Davis said...

I hate when stuff like this happens. I am glad you handled it..handled it well. Tears are okay...fall if they must, its healing for you and shows others the real pain that comes from such a horrible thing. Your a great example.

The husband thing...yeah...right there with ya in the worry. My husband is an EMT and has late nights or should I say long days...42hrs tops at times away from me. He can't even call or txt me sometimes...its rough but you'll get through it.
Hugs-
Felicia

Sherri said...

the emoticons explain it perfectly, and I'm sorry for awkward conversations! They really suck, I think you handled it well also, tears come with the territory!
My husband works offshore, three weeks gone (which is extremely hard at times) and then 3 wks home (which is awesome!)

Kelly said...

I had an awkward similar conversation with a 4 year old today. Haven't checked my blog yet to see if you checked it out, but yes, your emoticons sum it up. :)

LauraJane said...

@Kelly, I did. I commented telling you this seems to be be the day of awkward conversation... :)

Shell said...

Sorry for your awkward moment today. Hope the next few days pass quickly until your husband is back home with you.

Becky said...

My husband is gone for 3 weeks at a time for work, I handle the alone time fine normally although its been tougher lately since losing Liam, we talk morning and night but if for some reason he doesn't call I freak out that something has happened. Nothing ever has but I wonder how soon I would find out if something even were to. So your not alone on that!

lissasue3 said...

You're braver than me. I have yet to tell an absolute stranger my story. I'd be water works. I think I would have said yes and then walked away quickly.

And sorry, you can't win the lottery because I plan on winning. :P

Darcey said...

I have been there and done that, but it always seems to happen when you least expect it. I am also a BLM. My Logan was due on the day you lost your Jack, but never made it that far. I delivered him sleeping on Dec.19 due to a cord accident. I am also hoping for a rainbow pregnancy soon...good luck on your continued journey. It is so nice to find blogs that I can relate too. Thank you for sharing.
www.lifeafterlogan.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

 
Design bySmall Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved