Monday, April 25, 2011

Things I've been Buying (for myself)

Exactly two weeks today, I am going back to work. 4 months to the date Jack was declared, the day after Mother's Day (FML), and two days after my 29th birthday.

While I could continue to remain off for the rest of the year, returning in January 2012, I have other plans.

Depiction of me. Found here.
I am heading back to work in 2 weeks because I need to obtain 16 weeks of work to ensure I can have employment insurance for my next maternity leave. I need a total of 6 months back at work in order to get "topped-up" by my employer for my next leave.  I'm not pregnant yet, but I obviously very much wish to be. I have anxiety about having pregnancy complications the next time around, unfounded so far, but this does nothing to calm my nerves. Therefore I want to be back to work with enough time that should I become pregnant, and require bed rest, I can do so without hesitation.  >>Note we'll do what we have to, obviously, but this would calm me a little to not have an additional thing to worry about.<<

Anyway, in anticipation of returning to work in two weeks, and being anxious about this, I've been doing some serious online clothes shopping. I feel like it's the first day of school, and I'm nervous people will be looking at me (they will). Therefore, I'm going to wear new clothes and pretend like they're admiring them... ha.

These are the things I bought:

I bought this:

And this:


I love this one- looks cozy:


I actually have last years version of this one, in navy....

 And, since I love it so much, I bought it in this colour too. LOVE.

Source: SURPRISE! It's all from Banana Republic... ha!

Um, I realize I'm quite boring. (Don't judge me). Everything in my closet is either a shade of brown, grey, black or pink. I have to occasional navy... Oh well, at least my wardrobe matches my mood most days. ha! Wanna know why I kinda love these things even though I'm SUPER boring? Because I can wear them when I'm pregnant. Note how this all comes back to me going off on maternity leave again.  See graphic of the horsie above. I'm f'ing crazy.

This is essentially the same stuff I've worn for the past 5 years- camisoles and cardigans. Professional enough for work (we're business casual, and also I don't give a fuck), yet interchangeable for home/weekends... Um, I look the same.all.the.time. opps.

And remember when I was asking about what I should do about clothes for back to work? This is it. I can wear a few of my pre-pregnant pants, though I wouldn't say they look amazing. But I'm not buying new ones just yet. I kinda figure people will be gentle with my appearance, I mean I am returning 8 months too early, so if anyone's going to say anything (they won't, they're scared of me I think!), I'll point that out. That will be nice and AWKWARD. 

I plan to continue to wear the same maternity jeans with the band folded over.  They're the only ones which fit without a giving me a muffin top, and I only wear jeans on casual Friday's and on the weekends (where you'll usually find me in yoga pants). Thus, no need to purchase new designer denim just yet. I actually hope not to fit into designer denim again for several years. You know, after consecutive babies and my subsequent tummy tuck (and boob lift. I can't quite figure out why my boobs aren't cute anymore. I breast fed for less than a week. What a terrible joke).

Anyone seen any cute (body-friendly?) clothes lately?

10 comments:

B. Wilson said...

I didn't breastfeed at all and my boobs are at least 30% smaller. Seriously. Not cool.

LookItsJessica said...

Lucky brand store has some really cute (but colorful!) spring clothes. I bought some today!

little vitu's mom said...

I have to go back to work soon too. Most of my pre-pregnancy clothes don't fit. I cannot look at my maternity clothes. I have hid them away. Hmm..that leaves me with the option to drop by a store and buy some stuff..as we don't have many options to buy online clothes here. My changed body, the unfitting clothes..their all just a sad reminder of the priceless baby I lost.

Angela said...

My husband always teases me about putting the cart before the horse. I love that you have hope and faith, I think it's beautiful.

Thinking of you as you prepare to return to work.

lissasue3 said...

Cart before horse is what everyone does when it comes to babies. :) Still wishing you good luck in that department.

And I have no clothes advice. You are much more stylish than me! haha

Brooke said...

My boobs are a disaster as well. I was one of those feminists who would NEVER even THINK about plastic surgery. Let's just say I've been reconsidering that stance... Your clothes are cute and I love that they are maternity-flexible. I've been thinking a long those same lines, in part because even though I'm technically my former size, I have not regained my former shape. Nothing fits quite right and yet I tell myself, "Well, it won't matter so much if you get pregnant again soon."

Best of luck back at work. Take it easy as much as you can and try to reward yourself with something at the end of the day.

TanaLee Davis said...

You made me laugh in this one. I LOVE banana republic! Dressy casual is the best and yoga pants who doesn't want to wear them everyday...plus you have good reason to.
It must feel good to get some things for yourself. I know I like to do that once in a while.

Hugs mama-
Felicia

Darcey said...

I am also in the, "don't want to do this or that, because I am going to be pregnant soon" phase...please pregnancy happen!!! Unfortunately after every pregnancy my body seems to change a little bit and not for the good.

Good luck going back to work!!!

Keleen said...

I didn't get to breastfeed at all and my boobs are deflated and well...no good! Oh well!

I went back to work 2 weeks after Addison was born...I still don't know why I did that...it's all a blur. Luckily my old stuff fit, but now I am wanting new clothes...seems silly to buy new clothes just to get pregnant again, but you are right I should just look for things I can wear while pregnant, I think it would help me feel better. Good luck with getting ready for work!

Becky said...

Great post and love the horse pic! You aren't boring at all. Most of my clothes are black, whites, browns, and some greens.
I am not completely back down to my prepregnancy jeans yet but I don't care and don't plan on buying new stuff unless it maternity clothes.
Hope your last few weeks off of work go well before you have to head back

Post a Comment

 
Design bySmall Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved