Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Flogging my guts out...

It was just four months ago that I had my little boy. Another few days and it will have been four months since we lost him. The in between time is generally hard for me- four months ago we were getting released from the hospital after his delivery, and we were happy, luck people...

So, I spoken about how I've been occupying my time. It's not all glamourous around here, I'm not ALWAYS online shopping yes I am.. I don't always go on Etsy and Banana Republic shopping binges yes I do.

T-minus 6 days until I'm back to work... Really excited about that...

I've told you I've been working on my bathroom renovation for the past few weeks, and I'm finally going to show you some photos so you can see where my aggression goes... I'm not done yet, I'm actually not even close. But, I've made some progress and some is better than nothing, so here goes.

I don't have a true before. Trust me when I say it was gross.  Not like, dirty gross, just underwhelming, kinda always junky even when you had it spotless, kinda gross.  The people who inhabited this house before us did absolutely nothing to improve it and I find I am angry about this. The dude made such a big fuss when we bought it by saying he did all the work himself. And by all the work, he clearly meant laying the plastic peel and stick tiles in the bathroom and kitchen. He meant hiring in bath fitters to put in a plastic tub surround which always made me worry and think about that it was behind the plastic walls he was trying to cover up... This was once the only bathroom in the house until we added one in the bathroom which is our primary bathroom now, complete with a huge shower and bench. :)

As I mentioned before, this is the only one with a bath tub and would have been Jack's tub.  I wanted to renovate it prior to Jack's arrival, but we did the kitchen instead and so, it went on the back burner.

You can see the old lathe here after the plaster was removed.
And around the tub after the plastic and the tiles were removed.. Told you it was gross.

And with the mould-resistant drywall around the base of the room (the top half was already drywall, but had crappy tiles on it which were not only ugly, but different sizes too. WEIRD. The two different colour drywall is because the grey stuff is used in shower surround and is water-resistant... I put this where the back of the toilet reaches the wall, just in case)

Durock tub surround and the arm for the shower head
(which haven't been installed yet, but this is holding the new one's place)

All the screws/corners patched and ready for tile

And here's what I did yesterday (and the reason my back hurts today!!!):

First two rows of tile on mortar...

A whole wall of tile... 3 more to go!
That's all you get for now... Hope you like the preview! And, for anyone who is wondering, it really does do a lot to keep my mind off of being sad about Jack, as well as dreading Mother's Day, and going back to work.

Doesn't make it any better, but easier, perhaps.

8 comments:

Tiffany said...

Looks great! I'm impressed!
Good luck at work next week! I'm sure it feels very stressful!

Molly said...

WOW! Impressive! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Shell said...

LauraJane,
Looks great! I admire you taking on this type of project. I am not a DIY gal. I hope your first day back to work goes well for you. Hugs...

lissasue3 said...

Wow, great job! I wish I could do something like that!

Brooke said...

I'm totally in awe of your mad tile skillz.

Becky said...

Great work!

sarah said...

Totally impressed. If you still have the need to do some serious demolition and remodeling when you're finished with this project, we've got a great guest room for you to stay in and a bathroom that would *love* a remodel. :)

New Year Mum said...

Wow... your bathroom is going to look great :)) Thinking of you heading back to work... I found the anticipation worse than actually getting there. Love always xoxo

Post a Comment

 
Design bySmall Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved