Monday, May 9, 2011

I went back...

I'm heading to bed in a minute because I am t-i-r-e-d. But I wanted to say that my first day back at work wasn't THAT bad. I had a few "why are you back so soon?" questions on the train this morning, but managed to avoid responding with anything involving the words "my baby died".

The gang at work was happy I was back, and I had my fair share of pitiful looks and a few longer-than-usual hugs (not that I generally hug these people, but I hugged them goodbye before I started maternity leave, and so this time it was a longer, sadder hug). I cried a few tears, and managed to make some more senior people I work with cry too. score. ha.

Jack's name was spoken, and people expressed feeling a connection to him as I had referred to him by name while I was still pregnant. I thought that was very touching. He's mine (well, ours). But it is nice to know his impact was greater than I could even have imagined.

I will write more later, but it's bedtime for me now. Tomorrow the novelty might have worn off and I will hate work once again, but for today it was a good one.

Thanks for the well wishes and the happy birthdays too. :)

xox

10 comments:

Molly said...

I'm so glad it wasn't awful. Been thinking about you all day and wondering. I am with you on the novelty thing... hope it doesn't wear off too quickly but work is work and you've got another level of difficulty to deal with, as you well know (haha not sure why I'm reminding you of that... just saying). Love ya!

LookItsJessica said...

I was wondering how your first day back would go and I'm glad to hear it went OK. The longer than usual hugs always make me cry. Tacit acknowledgment and kindness.

Keleen said...

Glad the first day back was better than you expected. For the people that start crying the second they see me I always just say "I have that effect on people" it usually makes them laugh and cuts the tension :) Hope tomorrow goes well.

Caroline said...

I found that it does get easier with time (being back at work) and hope the same is true for you. I hope tomorrow and the rest of the week aren't too bad and I'm sorry for the days when you will cross paths with someone who doesn't know, or just is an idiot . . .hopefully you have a safe place to go and be by yourself when you need to! :)

Shell said...

Glad it went well for you yesterday! I thought we both went back the same day. I put in a half day. It was okay. The woman training me is preggers. When I interviewed she shared this with me and I didn't mention anything about my situation. You couldn't even tell or would have know but when I showed up yesterday she was popping out and showing so I had to deal with it in my own way. She made a few preggers comments like how forgetful she is, etc. I told her I understood but didn't go any further. I didn't want to end up crying on my first day of a new job. I hope today is as good. Hugs.

Kelly said...

I was thinking about you momma! I'm glad it wasn't too horrible. I'm so happy people spoke Jack's name. I hope you have a good day today. (((hugs)))

missliany said...

I'm so glad you made it through your first day back. I remember my first day was so hard. (((hugs)))

TanaLee Davis said...

I am over- joyed that you first day back was better than you thought it would be. Hugs-
Felicia

Tiffany said...

Glad it was better than expected. I find that often freak myself out with anticipation... I hope the rest of the week is good as well and people continue to remember your little guy and say his name to you!

Becky said...

Glad your first day back to work went well and hope the rest of your week goes well also

Post a Comment

 
Design bySmall Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved