Sunday, August 7, 2011

NYC or Bust!

First, just wanted to say thank you for all the sweet comments on my last post. It means the world to me to have so many people supporting us, and I feel even better knowing that many of you feel the same way as I do. I was worried I was being irrationally sensitive about the matter, and I truly thank you all for being just as (if not MORE) angry at the situation as I have been.

And in the interest of being entirely honest, I have been in a downward spiral since last Tuesday when this all happened, to the point where I cried (repeatedly) at work about it all. Big, fat, ugly tears of grief which haven't shown themselves consistently since the earliest of days. Only now, days later, have I been able to gather my shit enough to function without tears streaming down my face.

I've come to a bit of a conclusion.  Wanna know what it is? It's pretty simple: I'm done. I'm so done with trying to put energy into a relationship which clearly can't be sustained. Because she doesn't get it, and never will. And while I've been in hysterics about all of this, she's been able to carry on with her day-to-day life, likely never this a second thought. So, I'm done. There's a saying about this stuff, right? With friends like that, who needs enemies?

So, thank you, for making me realize I deserve more than this. I think I already knew this, but to know you all feel so passionately about it, and have in fact offered to maim her on my behalf, well, it means a lot.

<<end rambling appreciation here>>

So, New York. Before I tell you what I did there, I have to tell you about how we almost didn't get there... Yes, you read that correctly.

Scott and I had plans to fly out of the regional airport here in Toronto (Porter, for anyone who lives here) on Friday July 29th at 9:30pm. I knew it would give us enough time to get home, get packing, grab dinner and then to the airport which is only about 15 minutes away. The perfect plan. So I raced from work, got my nails done, and arrived home by 6:30. I was just starting to think about what to pack when my husband's Blackberry alerted him to a new email.

"Please note the following changes to your flight: Flight #whatever has been cancelled. Your tickets have been changed to Saturday at 11:00am"

Insert: WTF faces exchanged between my husband and I. What of our hotel reservation? Most of Saturday will be spent traveling, the whole point of flying on the Friday night was to wake up in NYC... And what about meeting Molly?

Being the consummate business man, my husband called the airline and we were told the following:
Flight cancelled due to weather in NYC (which, once we arrived, couldn't have been more similar to the perfectly normal weather in Toronto...)... Flights entirely booked up. There would be no compensation for my hotel room. There would be no nothin'.

I took over from there and spoke to a supervisor. You know when you can just tell someone doesn't genuinely care about your situation? That was this guy. He also couldn't stop coughing into the phone, which is a big pet peeve of mine. So my husband had the genius idea to ask about attending the airport to be on standby. We we told not to bother, that this practice wasn't encouraged and there were several people on the list before us. Basically, the response couldn't have been more of a "F you" if it tried.

I started emailing Molly and telling her it may not happen... That we may not be in there in time for our brunch on Saturday. Being the amazing girl she is, she told me anyway, anyhow, we were getting together. I always knew I liked her. :)

So, after getting off the phone my hubby and I weighed our options:

  • stay, do nothing, and wait for flight tomorrow
  • go, try anyway, and hope for a flight out of the city.
It took us no more than ten seconds to decided to throw our shit into our suitcases and bust out of there (forgetting dinner, my flatiron, mascara, and only taking 3 pairs of underwear in the process).  We told them we had a wedding in the morning in NYC, and needed to be on that flight (only a 1/2 lie, really). We were added to the list,  and were told we were #4 and #5 on standby for the last flight out. But with a plane which only seats 72, and 65 people having already arrived and checked luggage, our chances weren't looking all that great... Every person who walked to the check-in was another mark against us possible getting on that plane... People, I was chewing through my fresh manicure and pacing anxiously.

There was another couple waiting on standby a few feet away, and finally, the customer service rep approached both couples and had us come check our luggage in the event we could get on that plane.. People 1 & 3 on standby had left! We were in!

Scott and I were super thankful, and happy even though we were seated separately from one another on the plane.  Beggars can't be choosers, right? :)

So, with that, we were off.

And, to add some suspense, I'm going to taper off here and write more tomorrow. Ohhhh, drama...


Anonymous said...

So beyond the rude fella and cancelling of your was Porter? They always go on about their flights and how amazing they are as an airline...(I'm from Mississauga)

p.s. Hope you had a fab time

Addi's mom said...

hmm on second thought maybe you should stay friends with this chick until she has her baby, names him something other than Jax, Jack, Jackson whatever and THEN drop her likes she's hot!

I certainly don't think she is worth having around, but if you weren't friends anymore she may try and take "dibs" on that beautiful name :)

LookItsJessica said...

Dude! So glad you got on that flight! Our honeymoon flight was similar, we missed our 6am flight and we were put on standby for the next one. We were #1 and 2 on standby but every person who entered the plane before us were like, our enemies! Haha

Post a Comment

Design bySmall Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved