Friday, March 7, 2014

And then there were three.

Piper Jane arrived safely a few weeks ago.

She has gone from looking just like her sister at birth, to looking like her brother in just over two weeks.
Piper
Grace
Sometimes, when she's napping on my chest, I would swear it was him. They share the same eye shape and nose. If I glance down at her while nursing, it can be a little jarring to catch sight of her when she so strongly looks like him. It comes and goes though, there remain times where she looks just like her big sister, too. My mother and I joked I had essentially delivered Grace's twin, 22 months late. :/

All three of my babies share the same cupid's bow lips, which is apparently a recessive gene (a topic I find endlessly fascinating).

--
Parenting two living babies is a juggling act, one I'm not particularly skilled at yet. Piper is co-sleeping with us just as Grace had done, and I swear this is my salvation in getting some quality sleep. Piper wakes to eat every 3-4 hours, with her last feeding concluding about 45 minutes before Grace wakes up meaning I have a good first hour with Grace before Piper is conscious enough to want to be held/rocked/fed again. After that, the day unravels a big and usually concludes after several hissy-fits (both Grace and I!), lots of poopy diapers (just Grace and Piper this time!), and lots of cuddling (all of us this time).

Grace has been pretty great with Pipes so far- she's a little aggressive with her love, and "gentle" is a word we use quite frequently around here. She discovered Piper's feed dangling from my arms the other day and was delighted with tickling her little toes and feet. It was definitely a bit of a Hallmark moment.

I'm not sure this post is coherent, but I've been meaning to update the blog for some time now and it seemed as good a time as any to do it tonight.

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

You guys make some seriously beautiful McBabes!

Oh those early days of trying to add more kids into the mix! Crazy, tearful, wonderful, amazing all at once! It won't be long and you'll have it down pat. I just wish you were trying to manage three instead of two... Lots of love to you and your beautiful family- all five of you!

B. Wilson @ Windy {City} Wilsons said...

Gentle is a word that gets used very often in our house, too.

Glad you're only dealing with Grace and Piper's dirty diapers. I was worried.

These babies of yours are definitely gorgeous and I think it's fascinating and AWESOME that she takes on both the looks of your gorgeous first two. All around lovely McBabes. Can't wait to see what #4 looks like. Okay, I guess I can wait, considering I know the shop is closed for at least a good while. :)

Veronica said...

She's a beauty. And my god, does she ever look like Jack. And at the same time she's taken on so much of her sister too.

So happy she's here and in good health. I too wish you were getting up to handle a 3 year old.. an almost 2 year old... AND managing a newborn. Love your McBabes. New name...McBeauties. They are all so precious. Xox

(Open shop ASAP. Don't deny the world of the beauty to create. <3)

JoyAndSorrow said...

Stopping by to send random love, even though I'm on FB too. : ) xo Congrats again mama! ~Lindsay

Jen said...

My heart is so happy for you. That is one beautiful little lady, congratulations!

Post a Comment

 
Design bySmall Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved